Just some information.....
- It is true that the 'pit bull' was originally bred to fight - other dogs. However the dogs lived at home as a family pet in the late 1800s and lived in the house with the wives and children of the men who fought their dogs for sport, so they needed to be absolutely reliable around people. Dogs that showed human aggression were culled - that means they were euthanized and never bred from. These actions have evolved a unique dog personality where animal aggression has absolutlely no correlation to human aggression.
- According to Alfons Estelt of the American Temperament Test Society, Inc. temperament evaluations of American Pit Bull Terriers shows that this breed has a very high passing rate of 95%. The average passing rate for the other 121 breeds of dogs in the tests: 77%.
- Pit bulls are no more prone to "snapping" or "turning" than any other breed. Dog aggression is nearly always preceded by some kind of warning, and there is always a reason behind the attack. However, many inexperienced owners do not recognize the dog's behavior as aggression, or refuse to acknowledge it as a warning sign. With the exception of Springer Rage, a rare and controversial neurological condition that manifests itself as a spontaneous attack, followed by confusion, and then a return to normal behavior. Pit Bulls are NOT prone to this condition. There are individual dogs of any breed that may be more aggressive to others.
- Only one in 600 Pit Bulls that end up at shelters will find a home.....that means that the other 599 that aren't so fortunate, are euthanised.
For those of you that thought celebrities only owned Chihuahuas and French Bulldogs......
- There are quite a few celebrities who have owned one of the 'pit bull' breeds, just to mention a few: Ray Romano, Don Cherry, Fred Astaire, President Roosevelt, Jack Dempsy(No Boxer for him), Thomas Edison, Madonna, Michael J Fox, Brad Pitt, Bernadette Peters, Sinbad, Alicia Silverstone, Linda Blair, Humphrey Bogart, Usher, Mel Brooks, Ann Bancroft, John Stuart, Jan Michael Vincent, Pink, Kelli Williams, Ken Howard (Father in Crossing Jordon - his Pit Shadow saved his life), Malcolm Jamal Warner, Stephan Jenkins, Rosie Perez, Ananda Lewis, Amy Jo Johnson, Mary Tyler Moore, Steve and Terrie Erwin (the Crocodile Hunter), Jack Johnson, Bill Berloni (Broadway show dog trainer who has said that the Pit is the breed of choice for training), Anthony Robbins, Molly Price, President Woodrow Wilson, Frankie Muniz, AJ Mclean, Barbara Eden, and even Helen Keller.
Lucenays Peter, AKA Petey was an American Pit Bull Terrier, he worked with children constantly on the set of "The Rascals".
Links to some Pit Bull friendly sites
These guys are considered "bullies", because of their breed, but most of them are afraid of their own shadows. Any of our "bully breed" dogs have a LENGTHIER adoption process and please do not apply for any of these guys if you intend to keep them on chains, in lots, or mistreat them in any other way, a MANDATORY HOME CHECK will be performed for any of the bully breeds and any one who adopts one of these guys will be REQUIRED to participate in a training class. YOU MUST OWN YOUR HOME AND BE ABLE TO PROVE IT!
SITE UPDATED 3-19-08